Several members of the Society are willing to do look-ups and simple research projects for persons outside of the Northern Virginia area. Special arrangements can be made for members of the Society who live in the area, but for some reason are unable to travel to the repositories listed below.
- Local History and Genealogical Room, Alexandria Library, Alexandria, VA
- Daughters of the American Revolution Library, Washington, DC (Person requesting research must agree to pay the $6 entry fee)
- Fairfax County Archives, Fairfax, VA
- Fairfax County Courthouse, Fairfax, VA
- Library of Congress, Washington, DC
- Library of Virginia, Richmond, VA
- Loudoun County Courthouse, Leesburg, VA
- National Archives, Washington DC branch only
- Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, Loudoun Co., VA
- Virginia Room at the Fairfax County Public Library
Repositories Outside of the Metropolitan Area:
Several volunteers have agreed to do look ups and simple research projects at other repositories. This research will be conducted when the volunteer travels to that area. These repositories include:
- Hunterdon County Historical Society, Flemington , NJ
- Maryland State Archives, Annapolis , MD
- Morristown - Morris County Library, Morristown , NJ
- New Jersey State Library and Archives, Trenton , NJ
- Pennsylvania Archives, Harrisburg , PA
Volunteers have also agreed to take photos of cemeteries/headstones, houses or places in Alexandria , Fairfax County or Loudoun County . The location of each must be known.
What You Need to Do to Request Research
Send an e-mail to the Research Project Coordinator; subject line must include "FxGS Research Request". Set forth in a clear and complete manner what research you are requesting. Or mail a letter to the Researcher List Coordinator, Fairfax Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2290, Merrifield, VA 22116-2290.
After your request has been received, a volunteer researcher will contact you, preferably by e-mail. At this time, please advise the volunteer what research you have already done. An agreement on the reimbursement of expenses, (i.e., copy charges, excess postage, entry fees to repositories, etc.) if any, is required between the volunteer and the requester before any research is undertaken. Completion of a project may take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks.
Should a person request multiple research projects, the coordinator may forward a list of paid researchers who may be hired to do extensive projects. By forwarding this list, the Fairfax Genealogical Society is not endorsing any one person and is not guaranteeing any of the work done by the paid researcher.